S1: From Kerkow media. So what are you going to do about it?
S2: This is an important show. L.A. is one of those cities that has it all. Beverly Hills, Malibu, Bel Air, on the one hand, Skid Row, what's south central and even a place called the fashion district on the other communities of color that have a surprising, even shocking challenge when it comes to balancing reasonable people's needs and their environmental realities. Today, we're visited by a woman who has experienced both the challenges of growing up and now helping to manage those communities, as well as having held a position of power and influence with the Los Angeles Board of Police Commissioners. She has a unique and important perspective. This is politics. Meet me in the middle. I'm Bill Kurtis and once again, my co-host, Jane Olbrycht. She's an international trade attorney.
S3: She's fought
S2: for U.S. economic and business interests to high level government officials all
S3: over the world. And she's a
S2: member of the U.S. Supreme Court bar and she's also been involved with several U.S. presidential campaigns.
S3: Hey, Jane, how are you doing?
S2: Nice of you to join us. Good.
S4: It's always a pleasure to be here.
S2: And zooming in, our special guest, Shane Murphy Goldsmith.
S3: She's the
S2: president and CEO of Liberty Hill Foundation, one of the nation's most admired social change
S3: foundations. And she's also the
S2: co-chair of the California Funders for Boys and Men of Color. Previously, Shane was the vice president of the Los Angeles Board of Police Commissioners, as well as the executive director of Pece Ventures passes people assisting the homeless. She served as a senior adviser to Eric Garcetti when he was a city council
S3: president overseeing
S2: housing, economic development, the city budget, public safety and LGBTQ issues. Shane is also at the Free Foundation Stanton Fellow. She was focused on dealing with youth and justice issues.
S3: Welcome, Shane.
S2: Nice to have you here. Thanks for joining us.
S5: Hi. Thank you so much for having me.
S2: Shane, you've certainly dedicated your life to helping architect a better life for people who kind of need a foothold. Part of your inspiration came from your own family and how you grew up. Take us on a quick journey of your childhood, if you would.
S5: I grew up pretty poor in Santa Monica with my parents and my little brother. My mom died when I was about nine years old. They owned a small little business on Lincoln Boulevard in Santa Monica. They repaired and sold used appliances when she died because we didn't have health insurance while she was sick. My dad just had to turn over all of our resources for her health care. So there was nothing left to keep the business going when she died. Of course, if we had had health insurance,
S3: then she would
S5: have had proper care and I think gotten the medical treatment she needed much sooner and much more effectively. Even if she had passed away, we would have at least been able to keep the business going. And so that plummeted us into poverty. My dad did the best he could and I am forever grateful for how he just put his arms around me and my little brother.
S3: And I took one step at a time,
S5: kind of us against the world.
S3: He ended up dying when I was about 19.
S5: We had no other family and no resources. In fact, right after he died, our landlord told us that we had to move out right away. I didn't know at the time about rent control. I didn't know that I had rights. I just knew that we had to move out immediately and we did. But it meant that we had to leave everything
S3: behind and
S5: we'd always struggled in poverty. Life was hard. Certainly losing our parents made it harder. My brother became a crypt
S3: and ended up
S5: going to jail when he was
S3: 17.
S5: He was the only white krippen watts, as far as we know, which is a mostly black gang in various places throughout the country, but highly concentrated in Watts and South L.A. I remember vividly going to the court house, sitting in front of the judge and pleading with him to try my brother as the child he was. He was 17 years old. He had had a rough, rough life and he deserved to be tried as the child he was. And unfortunately, the judge decided to try him as an adult. And, of course, the penalties were far worse and continue to follow him now. Twenty five years later, the combination of all of those experiences have lit a fire in me to fight back against injustice wherever I find it, and to fight for a world where we don't abandon our kids, we don't abandon families, we provide the resources people need, and most importantly, that that people have the power to fight for themselves.
S2: So at that point, after your brother was incarcerated, you were pretty much alone. How did you handle that?
S5: I was incredibly lucky. I was in college at the time. I went to college in Ohio and I was able to go back to my dorm and my professors and my friends took really good care of me. They gave me housesitting jobs. During the breaks, so that I mean, I would have had nowhere to live. And just like my college community supported me, the Crips did the same thing for my brother. They took him in. They gave me a place to live. They gave him clothes. They made sure he could earn a living, and they gave him lots of love and community. So they had me take care of their pets, their homes, their kids. And they made sure I had a place to live. They made sure I had could earn a living. I made sure I was surrounded by love and community. Of course, I worked as well and was able to finish college and graduate and become an organizer. And the rest is history.
S4: I was going to say, you make a good point. Gangs are often a source of community and support for young men who don't have other options. Absolutely. Who don't have other support systems.
S2: Shane, you've come a long way since that time you leapfrogged over those struggles and take us on a little journey all the way to your first day as vice president of the L.A. Board of Police Commissioners.
S5: Yes, it has been quite a journey.
S2: I mean, where the police, your friends, when you were growing, you know,
S5: growing up, I was really terrified of the police. We had a number of situations
S3: where we did not
S5: think the police were there to protect us.
S3: We believed that
S5: and were terrified that they were going to take us away from our dad and
S3: we were going to be separated. You know, like most
S5: low
S3: income people, my dad
S5: lost his driver's license at one point. And so he had to drive us around without a license. And he just became obsessed with the fear that we were going to get pulled over, we were going to get taken away. And then, of course, my brother had a lot of encounters with the police that were pretty brutal and unfair before he went to jail and during and after. And so I had this sort of visceral, I think, fear, but also anger towards the police that. You know, as I got further away from those experiences and as I moved through my career doing the work I do, I you know, that began to evolve. And I got to do work, for example, for the city council president, Eric Garcetti, now our mayor, where I worked closely with the LAPD and others to deal with crime and graffiti in our neighborhoods. And so my perspective evolved as I had opportunities to collaborate with the police. But once I went to work for Liberty Hill Foundation and became really seeped in movements around racial justice and economic justice, and seeing my brother continue to move through the criminal justice system I still carried with me deeply felt concern for the way that police interact with black men in particular, and with low income people and people of color in general, and learned a lot about the injustices that folks face. My career was really about fighting for social justice, fighting for racial justice, and not just my career. I mean it with my heart always carrying my brother with me, who's still my best
S3: friend and always
S5: wanting to create
S3: a world that doesn't produce
S5: the conditions that my brother had to live with.
S2: So here you have all of these things weighing on you, your childhood, the whole process of watching your brother go through it and your mom and your your dad. And here you are on your first day with the police commission. You were walking into the LAPD. What did you expect to see? And and what did you learn during your tenure there?
S5: I joined the police commission because I wanted to do something about overpolicing in low income communities of color, police violence and the over use of police for people experiencing homelessness, people with mental health issues, low income people, people of color.
S3: And I went to
S5: the police commission with very ambitious goals. When I got there my first day, I vividly remember it was in the midst of the first Black Lives Matter movement four and a half years ago. And at the end of the meeting, the activists wanted the police commissioners to stay behind and talk to them directly. You know, because once we're on the dais and we're in a police commission meeting, we're very limited in terms of the way that we can interact with the public. And so they really wanted to have a dialogue with us. And most of the commissioners left the room, but one woman stayed behind who knew them well. And I decided to stay with her both because I deeply cared about the Black Lives Matter movement. It was one of the things that inspired me to think there was a chance, a real lasting change. And so I wanted to stay back, too. And we stayed for a few minutes. We interacted with them and we left. And this I mean, there was a newspaper article printed that day about the fact that I and the other commissioners stayed behind to talk to these protesters. And the police union began calling for my resignation because they already believed that I was antipolice because of the work that I do. And then when they saw me in this perceived act of solidarity with the Black Lives Matter movement, they became convinced that I was against them and could not be fair to them, as
S2: opposed to feel like this was a remarkable moment that actually had some light at the end of the tunnel. They actually felt that they needed to stop that early on.
S5: And it was very shocking for me. I mean, it was a it was very public. I mean, there's a newspaper article now the the police union's newspaper is writing articles about me and asking for my resignation. I mean, it was a very painful and just critical reaction to me. And like you said, simply, you know, doing what I thought was my role in terms of listening to community members and engaging with them directly. And and, you know, it's true that I care deeply about the movement for Black Lives and cared deeply about people who had experienced the worst of Los Angeles policing. And what I had to do is figure out how, you know, if I have these ambitions, I'm not going to get them done by being a Lone Ranger.
S3: Right. I had to find
S5: common ground with other commissioners, with the leadership of the police, build
S2: some bridges.
S5: Yeah, right. Trying to build bridges with the rank and file and with others. I couldn't have the police union constantly targeting me because then I would lose credibility and I would lose power and I wouldn't be able to make a way forward. And so I did have to find ways to build those bridges.
S2: Can you give us some specifics how you worked through it?
S5: I eventually sat down with the board of the police union and tried to get to know them a little bit and and wanted them to get to know me a little bit, to see that I really was here to make a difference. And I did want to build bridges and I was a real person, not some type of dehumanized target, and that it was in their interest to work with me. I'm on the commission. You can demonize me or you can try to work with me. And I think that help on both sides to really humanize both of us and to give us some openings, to have more communication. And I just did a lot of listening. I did a lot of right alongside with the police and just listen to them talk for hours about the communities they worked in, their backgrounds, their ideas about what was going on with the larger. Meant what's going on in their day to day work, spent a lot of time with the leadership of the
S3: police, understanding
S5: where they wanted to go, what was holding them back. How are they perceiving what was happening? And similarly, letting them get to know me and to build
S3: trust because we didn't always
S5: agree. In fact, we often disagreed. But we can do that in a way that strives to find common ground and that treats each other with mutual respect. And I think we eventually got there.
S3: And as a result,
S5: we're able to do great things. We're able to declare that police would only take enforcement action with people experiencing homelessness as a last resort. We saw arrests and citations of people experiencing homelessness go way down. We implemented a department wide implicit bias training so that every single person in the LAPD got implicit bias training. We we did a lot of things and deeply engaged the immigrant community at the height of the Trump era, fear and attacks on immigrants to make sure they knew that the LAPD had their backs. They weren't going to be turning anyone into ice. So we did a lot together, I think, to respond to some of the greatest concerns that we were hearing in the community because we found that common ground.
S4: What were some of the things that
S3: you learned, having gotten to know
S4: the police and more about what they do? What were some of the things that you learned that surprised you
S5: from the police officers? I learned that most of the time when they pull a car over or respond to a call, knock on a door, they're expecting the worst. They. Most of the time, the tactics they use are. Expecting the possibility that somebody could pull a gun out on them, and so I came to understand that that's their experience, you know, trying to set aside my judgment of why would they feel that way when that is so incredibly rare and knowing that the chances that implicit bias was informing who they were afraid of and who they weren't, just setting that aside and trying to deeply understand their own experience. The reality was that they were trained to prepare and that they imagined the worst. And then I could begin to see how that influences interactions right right away. You've got this this police officer who is prepared for this to go very badly. And so, of course, that's going to have an impact on folks in the community. And so I could better understand where they were coming from and how things might escalate when we're watching kind of as a third party. It's just how did this go from, you know, a knock on the door to a use of force? So that helped me to understand what was going on in their minds sometimes.
S3: We're going to take a quick break.
S2: And when we come back, we're going to talk about some of your surprising and well thought out visions for LAPD future.
S1: On medicine, we're still practicing join Dr. Stephen Tayback and Bill Kurtis for real conversations with the medical professionals who have their finger on the pulse of health care in the modern world available on all your favorite podcasting platforms produced by Kerkow media.
S2: You were describing to me the other day about how you can appreciate how police put their jobs on the line and their lives on the line, and they're attacked all the time. And right now they're really attacks emotionally, politically and otherwise. But you said we're inheriting hundreds of years of pain and rage at the results of oppression. Talk about the other side for a minute so that we understand where some of the clash comes in, where some of the challenge comes in that you've been trying to bridge.
S5: Twenty twenty was a reckoning for so many of us. It was a racial justice reckoning. It was a reckoning with police culture and police violence and so many other things. And from what I heard from police officers, it could feel at times like the whole world had turned against them. And it felt very personal. You know, as a police officer, they may not be it's not my name in the headlines, but it feels like they're criticizing me. It feels like they think that I'm a bad person. And a lot of police officers felt that way. And and frankly, I think a lot of white people felt that way because there was so much talk about white supremacy and racism and structural racism and anti black racism especially. I think what we have to realize is that we are inheriting hundreds of years of pain and rage and the results of
S3: oppression, that it's coming out
S5: now and we are absorbing that. And so while an individual officer may never have used his gun or may never have done anything hurtful in his job, that the reality is we all have to try not to take it so personally and try to figure out how to improve ourselves as white people in a racist society, to improve our police officers, individual work and the structure and context and culture of their work.
S3: I think it can be overwhelming.
S5: And I heard from some police officers that it felt quite overwhelming and they felt under attack. And I understand that. And I and I understand the frustration that they felt. And I can see how that can translate to anger at protesters or anger at people who are raising these issues. But the reality is that these issues need to be raised. We need to deal with them. I could do something today that results in strong criticism of me that somebody 30 years ago could have done and they didn't get criticized for it at all. And I can resent the world because why am I getting in trouble for this thing that was perfectly acceptable before? But that's the opportunity I have, is to get that feedback and use it as a way to grow and a way to change my behavior so that we can make a better world. And I think trying not to take it quite so personally and turning it into resentment and dehumanizing other people is the challenge and finding that humanity in each other, finding that common ground so we can make a way forward together.
S3: I agree with you, Shane. I think we've
S4: got to find a way and we can and we should to absolutely condemn bad acts, bad policies, bad police departments without condemning every last police first responder out there. I know it's been hard on them. And when you look at the Capitol Hill police who try to defend the capital, when you look at the policemen in Boulder, Colorado, who Rushden, father of seven, who got killed, I think that's just a reminder that there are good cops out there. There are part of our first responders and they're the only first responders that almost get no appreciation. So I think we have to find a balance, because if you're going to ask the police to change, you can't constantly be attacked. And you have to say, OK, this we condemn, but we understand your problem and let's listen to each other.
S5: I think one of the most important things police departments can do and one of the greatest results of the protests in the streets of twenty twenty would be a robust investment and alternative responses to crisis situations or nonviolent non-criminal situations, meaning alternatives to police responses. So there are, you know, mental health teams, outreach teams who know how to connect people experiencing homelessness with housing and other ways of responding to non-criminal, nonviolent situations
S3: that keep police
S5: out of it ideally, and respond in such a way that can actually help the situation, not just sort of quell it, but actually if someone's having a mental health episode on a street. Let's get that person off the street. Let's get that person the care that they need. Not only does it require that alternative response in the first responder role, but it requires a robust investment in the whole system so that it's not just sending the mental health experts out to deal with the person who's in the middle of the street. But it's making sure you have a robust infrastructure of community based mental health service providers that that person can connect to that are going to keep in touch with that person when they wander off or of experience barriers to take care. So, for example, there's programs that were implemented in the LAPD called the Community Safety Partnership, which is essentially law enforcement as a last resort in communities experiencing high levels of gang related crime, especially gang homicide. And so what they do is it's not a perfect program, but what they do is they partner with community leaders and community organizations to do prevention, intervention and just kind of community building so that the police are not creating an enforcement response to things they normally would like, gang activity or certain types of conflicts in the community. And by keeping the police response out and keeping it as a last resort and instead creating these community based interventions, they've been able to significantly reduce gang homicides in these particular neighborhoods. So I figure we can use these alternatives to policing that can reduce gang homicides. Surely we can invest in more of that, less policing and more community based responses to crime. But that's sort of the most furthest along on a spectrum. Certainly, we can send a mental health worker to respond to somebody who's having mental illness or housing outreach worker to respond to somebody who's experiencing homelessness or a social service worker to a kid who did some low level petty theft, stole some shoes. You want to put that kid in jail and probably they're going to be in and out of jail for the rest of their lives. Or do we want to figure out how to give that kid a second chance, give them the resources they need to hold them accountable if they did some kind of harm?
S2: Where do you put the concept of law
S3: enforcement and appropriate
S2: punishment is deterrence? How do you deal with that part of the attitude that we
S3: have toward criminal behavior?
S5: A lot of what I did on the police commission was bring attention to unintended consequences and impact
S3: so we can
S5: talk about a lot of other parts of the puzzle. But if we're ignoring the impact of that interaction or the impact of that policy, then we are not doing our job. So the reality is that the way police currently respond to these situations contributes to an environment where people are afraid of a police. Many people, especially black men, they don't believe that police are there to protect them. And those situations can escalate to use as a force and have resulted in mass criminalization and mass incarceration of people of color.
S2: Is that a perception or is that an overall reality?
S5: That's a reality.
S2: It is a reality.
S4: I was going to say even I know that's a reality. I mean, historically, going back to slavery and then after slavery, the police have been not there to protect black people. They've been there to oppress black people far too often. That's not always but far too often.
S5: Last big thing I did before I left the police commission. That was really the goal that I had all along. And it took four years to get it done, but was to deal with this thing called pretext stops. So we've heard of driving while black. We've heard of these incidents where the police will pull someone over for a paper license plate or a tinted window or a broken taillight. And the situation escalates to potentially to use of force. But even when it doesn't and it's rare that it does, it creates this fear, this climate of fear we hear all the time black people have the talk with their kids. If you ever get pulled over by a cop, you know, it's a lot of fear and it creates an abusive situation. So that's called a pretext. Stop. That's I'm stopping you because of your taillight, because I think you might have a gun or I think you might be doing a parole violation or I think you might be dealing drugs or something. So I'm going to stop you on this pretext of a traffic violation. And what we know is that most of the people who are stopped in PreCheck stops are disproportionate amount of black men. So when I went into it, I thought I assumed that the police department was going to make the argument that these pretext OP serve a purpose. They help us keep crime down or deal with spikes of crime. And so it is a deterrent and it is a way to actually get people who are committing crimes off the street. So I assume that would be the argument. What I knew, though, is that it was contributing to, you know, perpetuating racism and fear and delegitimizing the police and causing distrust of government. And once someone gets arrested, all we know, all the consequences that come as a result of that. And so I commissioned a study to look at all of that. And so the police commission had the inspector general do this really in-depth study of these pretext stops. And it turns out that they actually were not resulting in citations and arrests. The reality is police officers were pulling all these people over and not finding guns or narcotics. And it was just these two off and very negative interactions that perpetuated fear and racism. But we're not resulting in catching a crime. So once we figured that out, we could see, OK, it's not serving the purpose that people said it was.
S2: Did they adopt your strategy?
S5: Yeah. All the recommendations in the report by the inspector general were adopted and the department committed to significantly reducing PreCheck stops and to
S3: making racial equity
S5: a metric like whatever stops do happen. We don't want to see this disproportionality.
S3: It all comes down
S5: to implementation and continuing to hold ourselves and the police accountable to making sure that the ultimate result is achieved. But at least we knocked. Down the idea that the stop served a greater purpose and begin to unravel them so that we don't see this kind of harm being done in our streets every day.
S2: We'll be back in a flash to talk about Shane's current position as president, CEO of the Liberty Hill Foundation, along with her mountain of causes that require her attention.
S1: A moment of your time, a new podcast from Kerkow Media, currently 21 years old and today, like magic, extended from her fingertips down to the blood to take care of yourself
S5: because the world needs you and you must
S1: meet every do gooder that asked about me was ready to spit on my dream. Fingers were facing. You can feel like your purpose in your worth is
S2: really being done to stop me from playing the piano.
S1: She buys walkie talkies, wonders to whom she should give the second. Don't love
S2: humans. We never did. We never. Well, we just find the beauty
S1: of rock climbing is that you can only focus on what's right in life. And so our American life begins. We may need to stay apart, but let's create together available on all podcast platforms. Submit your piece by Kerkow Dotcom. Slash a moment of your time.
S2: What is Liberty Hill Foundation?
S5: Liberty Hill Foundation is Eliz home for progressive philanthropy. We are a social justice foundation. We raise money and we give it away to community organizations and leaders in communities that have faced systemic oppression and provide the support that they need to organize their communities, to build power for their communities and to win policies and lasting change in their communities.
S3: So everything from racial justice,
S5: economic justice, affordable housing, environmental justice, LGBTQ rights, workers rights and really any issue in low income communities, communities of color where folks are facing oppression. And they we know that those folks who are closest to the pain need to be closest to the power and are the ones with the solution and who need to lead the way because they have the most to gain and the most to lose. And so we do everything we can to provide resources so they can wage this David and Goliath battles. And when
S3: interesting that you can understand
S2: the progression from the police commission to Liberty Hill, but maybe you can tell us about the process, what got you there. Tell us the story about getting to Liberty Hill.
S5: Well, when I was a young community organizer about twenty five years ago, I applied for a grant from Liberty Hill Foundation for my work and was declined. And as much as I disagreed with that decision, I became enamored with Liberty Hill because of the process that they use. They have this community funding board of people who are organizers, who are on the front lines, who are experts in the work. And I just envisioned these these giants of social justice sitting around a table talking about politics and social change in Los Angeles and figuring out how to get more resources into the field.
S3: And it just sounded awesome.
S5: And it was founded by four people who in the mid 70s, who inherited a tremendous amount of wealth, including Sarah Pillsbury of the
S3: Pillsbury family and who really
S5: were inspired by the movements of the time and felt that they hadn't earned this money, they were inheriting it, and they decided to pool their resources and turn their resources over to communities in Los Angeles who are at the front lines of these battles. And they said, you know what the problems are. You know what the solutions are. You know what's best. Here's our resources. You decide what to do with them. And that was revolutionary then. And it's revolutionary now, still at the cutting edge of philanthropy and of foundations in this country that we really believe that the people who are doing the work, the people who are most impacted, are the ones that have the solutions and the ones who need to lead the way. And so just like we did five years ago, we do today. We raise our money and we give it away to community organizers and grassroots leaders.
S2: So they just came and found you and recruited you, or did you seek them out, had that happen?
S5: Well, I joined the community funding board at the time. It was the LGBTQ community funding board and thought I it was like winning an Oscar. Absolutely thrilled and humbled and was a volunteer on that board for two years and then got recruited into a management position at the foundation and then eventually became the CEO.
S2: That's a pretty impressive rise. What kind of staff do you have there? And is it all funded from these four people? Plus an outreach? How does that work?
S5: We have about thirty four staff members in twenty twenty. We gave away about fifteen million dollars, which was about triple what we had given away a couple of years before. So we're growing considerably as people in Los Angeles are awakening to the injustices all around us and we want to do something about it.
S2: Do you have fundraising events? How do you how do you raise the funds to support these thirty two people?
S3: Yes, you raise all of our money. We have to raise
S5: every dollar we spend and we raise it from individuals. We raise it from other foundations who we partner with. Just in the last couple of years, we've begun partnering with government to get resources into under-resourced communities.
S3: For the first
S5: time, we've begun to have corporate support and we've formed partnerships with the Dodgers, the Rams, the Chargers.
S2: Well, I imagine that sports fans in L.A. will be happy to hear that they step up to support their community.
S3: So one of the lines I
S2: noticed on your website is change, not charity. What did you mean by that?
S5: Libreville really is my dream job. And it is everything. It is all of my values and my experience. So, you know, growing up poor and seeing my dad and my brother, who were so brilliant and so full of love and warmth and wisdom and knowing in my gut that they, you know, just because they didn't have resources just because we were poor doesn't mean that they didn't know what was going on, didn't understand the problems and have solutions. And so I think what to me, what change not charity means is that that traditional forms of charity tend to reinforce these power dynamics and. Reinforce the idea that certain people need help and others give it to them. It reinforces the underlying conditions that produce the need for charity in the first place. And so the motto Change, Not Charity, says that we really want to go upstream. We want to get to the root causes of these
S3: problems and solve these problems
S5: in a structural way. So rather than sort of feeding each individual or housing each individual, we're going to figure out what are the Land-Use policies that we need to create more housing or what are the ways to invest in school so that kids can get a good education and have a chance at a job that pays the bills.
S2: What are some of the ways that you deployed that 15 million dollars last year?
S5: Well, we quickly, in response to covid, set up a rapid response fund for community organizing for covid-19, and then we set up a rapid response fund for racial justice. So that brought in additional resources that we quickly got out to grassroots organizations that
S3: were not only organizing
S5: to end youth incarceration or to win new tenant protections, but they were also figuring out how to get groceries to their members and how to connect their members in low income communities and communities of color to information about covid, either because these community members didn't have access to these resources or didn't trust
S3: government information
S5: systems. But our grassroots community organizations were able to reach people that others couldn't.
S3: So we were
S5: quickly able
S3: to pivot to
S5: that and to find groups to respond to the racial justice uprising and and channel that energy into demands for
S3: policy change.
S2: So with Liberty Hill, do you have a success metric, kind of a measuring stick for what you want to accomplish, or is there just an overwhelming mountain of issues that you want to touch on? How are you organizing your attack right now?
S5: We have several metrics. One is what we call ending youth incarceration as we know it. So that includes reducing youth arrests by 50 percent, reducing the number of youth jails by half, and reducing the number of kids in jail by half as a first benchmark. We aim to go much further than that. And we've accomplished most of that in the last three years with our community partners and government partners and foundation partners.
S2: Are you setting up alternative treatments and alternative ways of handling someone who has committed an offense that would otherwise land them in jail?
S5: Yeah, so we've gotten the Board of Supervisors to support moving youth out of the probation department, which is what incarcerates youth and move them into a Department of Youth Development that is going to be fully funded to provide the types of prevention, support and resources that kids need to avoid the criminal justice system altogether. It's much less expensive and much more effective than arrest and jail. That's one of our metrics. Our other metric is to pass laws in the city and county to eliminate neighborhood oil drilling. And the third is to win stronger tenant protections, specifically rent control in several cities. And then and we won a type of rent control in the county, winning the right to counsel so the tenants have an attorney to represent them when they're faced with eviction.
S2: We've had an interesting career. You've gone through a number of interesting cycles. Very impressive. Do you feel like you've been a success?
S5: I feel amazed by the progress that's been made and deeply pained by the injustices and inequities in Los Angeles and grateful and proud that I've been able to, thanks to a lot of good luck and a lot of privilege and a lot of hard work, make my way out of poverty and then get to focus on making the world a better place for my kids and everyone else.
S2: Shane Murphy Goldsmith, thank you for joining us today. We really do appreciate it. And we wish you a lot of luck in climbing the mountains that you have before you. And we hope that there are ways of accelerating some of your progress. We need people like you with the foot in all camps who have empathy and understanding for all different parties. And we appreciate you being here.
S5: Thank you so much. Great talking
S2: to you. How do people follow you?
S5: You can visit Liberty Hill Dog to learn more about Liberty Hill and how you can get involved.
S2: Jane, thanks for joining us.
S5: Thank you, Jane and Bill.
S4: It was my pleasure. And Shane, thank you so much.
S2: Don't forget to hit the follow button so you don't have to hunt around to find meet me in the middle next week. And thank you to our producer, Joey Cylvia. Music for Meet Me in the Middle is composed and performed by Celeste and Eric Dick. And the executive producer for this episode is Stuart Halpern. We'll see you next week, everybody.
UU: It will be.
S2: From Kerkow media media for your mind.