Speaker 1: Hey, parents, If you love our podcasts, you'll love the Lingo Kids app. We've got more than a thousand activities and songs that'll make learning fun for your curious kid. Check it out for free.
Speaker 2: Bubble Bubble, Toilet, Shrouble to Beat You or Not to beat Roses are read? Said Sam, I am, and Jill came tumbling after. What are you doing, Elliott? I'm trying to write my first poem from my English homework.
Speaker 3: Oh your poem.
Speaker 2: Is interesting, thank you, But I think it's missing something.
Speaker 3: Hmmm, maybe it's missing a rhyme.
Speaker 1: Oops, Lisa. Poetry can be written without a rhyme. It can be written almost any way you'd like. But Elliott's poem is missing something else?
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 1: Well, Elliot, you just put pieces of other famous poems together, didn't you.
Speaker 2: Huh?
Speaker 1: Then it's missing you Elliot the poet?
Speaker 3: What what?
Speaker 1: Welcome to story time by Lingo Kids, where we discover fascinating facts about the world around us and the fun of play learning. Today, let's help Elliot become a poet and write his very first poem. But before we continue, Elliot has something to share.
Speaker 2: Hi, it's Elliott here. Do you know what your superpower is here is our big news. We are starting a new podcast. It's called Growing Up. With our host Emily. We'll find out what it takes to be anything you want.
Speaker 1: This is so exciting, Elliot. In the podcast Growing Up, you can meet real actors, musicians, firefighters, doctors, football players, and others. We will share secrets of discovering your superpower as you are growing up. Just search for Growing Up bi Lingo kids. That's a good idea, Billy Cowie. Do you want to read your poem? Maybe that will help Elliott get some ideas for his poem.
Speaker 3: Okay, you're ghosts h.
Speaker 2: Roses are red, violets are blue, I love eating grass and sane blue. See your sounds way nicer, Thanks Elliot.
Speaker 1: Very nice poem, Cowie. If we listen to it carefully, we'll notice a few things about it. Can you read it for us one more time? Cowie?
Speaker 4: Sure? Uh huh.
Speaker 2: Roses are red, violets are blue, I love eating grass and saneoo.
Speaker 1: Notice how musical it sounds. The poem has a certain rhythm to it.
Speaker 3: Is it rhythm something.
Speaker 1: You dance too?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: Rhythm is like a repeating pattern usually used in music. A song has a certain beat that you can follow and dance along to, and some poems can have rhythm too. Cool Words in a poem that end with the same or similar sounds are called rhymes. Like Lisa said earlier, you could add some rhyming words to your poem, Elliott to make it even funnier.
Speaker 2: Ooh, let me try. Roses are red, Violets are blue? I love the sleep eat carrots. No way, that doesn't rhyme?
Speaker 1: Oh man, ooh oh, let me try.
Speaker 2: Roses aren't the violets are blue? Carrots are blue, and I love blue. That's a lot of blue. Wait, carots aren't blue, but that rhymes right.
Speaker 1: I guess blue rhymes with blue. But usually in poems you want to find rhyming words that are different. That's part of the challenge and part of the fun. Ou I know what we can do. Let's think of some rhyming words together. Can you think of any words that rhyme with.
Speaker 4: Hat that cat matt, great job.
Speaker 1: Late hat ah yes, one of my favorite poems by Doctor Seuss. How about words that rhyme with fish wash? Hmmm, not quite but almost just change.
Speaker 3: One letter whish yes, great job?
Speaker 1: Any others dish squish. Okay, last one, how about something that rhymes with blue? Good one, Kelli, clue, that's a good one too. Pooh pooh, I guess it rhymes. But how about we choose a better word that you can use for your poem. I know something that rhymes with blue. It's something that pandas like to eat. Can you guess what it is?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: I know, bab boo.
Speaker 1: Yes, great job. And now that you know that it rhymes with blue, maybe you can use it in your poem.
Speaker 2: Cool. I want to try my poem again.
Speaker 3: Here it goes.
Speaker 2: Roses are red, violets are blue. I love to sleep and eat bamboo.
Speaker 1: Great jaw, Elliot, you've just made your first poem. Holly. Thanks everyone, Lingo Kids listeners, you can try this at home too. Remember in our episode Lisa the Bookworm, we asked you to help Elliot and Lisa finish their story about the frog. Thank you to our listener Leone, who sent his lines to podcast at Lingo Kids dot com. You can do it too, Lingo Kids listeners. Just use those first two lines Roses are red, violets are blue, and then complete the poem by adding your own lines. Make sure to send us your poems. We'd love to hear what you come up with. You can ask a grown.
Speaker 3: Up how have fine?
Speaker 1: Yes, Poetry is so much fun and the best thing is it helps you get better at reading and writing all while you're having fun.
Speaker 2: Now that I wrote my first poem, I want to be an even better poet.
Speaker 1: That's great, Elliot. The best way to learn and get better at writing is by reading all kinds of books and poetry, and by writing different kinds of poems. Do you think you can do that, Elliot? Yes, Lingo kids listeners, thank you all for helping Elliot create his very first poem. We had a great time today learning about poetry and rhyme.
Speaker 3: See you in our next episode.