Speaker 1: Parents.
Speaker 2: We hope you've been enjoying our podcasts. Did you know we also have an app? Get it today and discover why over fifty million kids love playing and learning with the Lingo Kids app.
Speaker 3: Would that be the ful night? I'm going to look at the night sky any one Monday? Join yes, Alco.
Speaker 1: Great idea, Cowie.
Speaker 2: The stars are out and there are hardly any clouds in the sky.
Speaker 1: Perfect time to go stargazing. Yeah's good.
Speaker 3: I don't want to go. I want to stay inside and watch TV. Why elliett star beajing is so fun?
Speaker 2: It's actually called star gazing, Cowie.
Speaker 1: When you look or gaze at the stars.
Speaker 3: Staring at the stars, it's just a black sky woof little white dots. Sounds boring.
Speaker 2: Those little white dots are stars, and stars are very special. Welcome to Storytime by Lingo Kids, where we discover fascinating facts about the world around us and the fun of play learning. Today we'll talk about stars and constellations and maybe we can convince Elliott to do some stargazing with us.
Speaker 3: I don't see what's so special about the night sky. Those stars all look the same to me.
Speaker 2: They may look like little dots, but stars are not little at all.
Speaker 3: Really, but you look so so so tiny.
Speaker 1: That's because they're very, very very far away.
Speaker 2: Stars are really giant balls of really hot gas.
Speaker 1: And energy whoo fireballs.
Speaker 2: In fact, our sun is a star too, and it provides all of our heat and light on Earth.
Speaker 3: But if the Sun is a star, why isn't it a tiny white dot like all the other stars.
Speaker 2: The Sun is the closest star to us. It's much much closer to us than all the other stars, which is why it doesn't look like a little white doto.
Speaker 3: So you want to come star gazing now with us? Elliott? Well, stars aren kind of cool, but I still don't see the point of gazing at stars they are so far away because you're so crazy.
Speaker 2: Yes, they are, cowie, but not just that. Did you know that stars can tell us useful things?
Speaker 3: Really? Okay? Stars? How many bamboo sticks kit I have tonight? I can't hear anything?
Speaker 2: Well, Elliot, I am sure you know the answer to this question. But thousands of years ago sailors used stars to find their way when navigating and sailing the seas.
Speaker 3: Why didn't they use their GPS max?
Speaker 2: They didn't have phones or computers, GPS's or much of the technology that we have now, But they had stars.
Speaker 3: Can we ask him for directions? Hey, miss Star, tell me which way to go to Elliott's place.
Speaker 2: Well, not exactly, but if you look very closely at the night sky, you.
Speaker 1: Can find patterns of stars.
Speaker 2: You might remember we talked about patterns in episode Finding Polka Dots.
Speaker 3: Yes, I remember.
Speaker 2: We learned that patterns are simply shapes or forms that repeat.
Speaker 1: Yes, I like patterns.
Speaker 2: When you look at the night sky, you not only see stars, but the star patterns. The same star patterns that are there tonight will be there the next night, and the next and so on. So by looking for the same star patterns, you can sail.
Speaker 1: In the right direction and not get lost.
Speaker 3: That's clever.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's kind of like finding your way home by looking for something that looks familiar.
Speaker 1: Such as a big tree or a store that you know.
Speaker 3: I've never looked at star patterns before. Come on, Elliet, let's go stargazing outside Lea.
Speaker 4: Okay, let's go, yay, Wow, look out, twinkly and beautiful those star patterns are they?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 2: Are? Did you know those star patterns have a big thing fancy name they're called constellations.
Speaker 3: Concentrations, combinations, congratulations.
Speaker 2: Almost the word is constellations, constilations. In ancient times, people used to gaze at the stars all the time and find constellations.
Speaker 1: They found all sorts of patterns in the stars.
Speaker 2: Heroes and hunters, bears of bulls, and many other things.
Speaker 1: Wow, all of it?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Did you know there are eighty eight official constellations.
Speaker 3: That's a lot.
Speaker 2: One of the most famous constellations is called ursa major, which means greater bear.
Speaker 1: People in ancient times.
Speaker 2: From a very long time ago called it that because they thought that it looked like a great big bear.
Speaker 3: Oh, like a panda bear. Like me, Ellie, it's a constellation. Cool. Can we find our own patterns in the stars?
Speaker 1: Of course, Cowie, What do you see?
Speaker 3: Look over there? Those stars look like they make a smiley face?
Speaker 2: I see it.
Speaker 3: And look those ones over there look like a kite. And look that one looks like a stick of them.
Speaker 1: Boo, you wish elliot lingo.
Speaker 2: Kids, listeners, you can ask a grown up to go stargazing on a nice clear night, and if you do, write down some of the patterns you find. You can also ask your grown up to help you send in your list to us as well. We would love to hear what patterns you can find in the stars.
Speaker 3: Stars are amazing. I'm glad we came outside to gaze at the stars.
Speaker 2: Thanks everyone, Lingo Kids listeners, We hope you enjoyed learning about constellations and doing some stargazing together. In special places called planetariums, you can learn more about the night sky and the stars.
Speaker 1: Ask a grown up about it. See you in our next episode. Either way.
Speaker 3: Now you can read our podcasts. If you really like us, give us five stars.
Speaker 1: Help us breadword