Speaker 1: It's a beautiful day for a long hike, I'll need to bring plenty of water. Which water bottles should I bring?
Speaker 2: Take the pink one with green frogs on it. Actually, the green water bottle with pink flamingos on it is the best.
Speaker 1: Those water bottles look fun, but they don't hold enough volume of water for a long day of hiking.
Speaker 2: Volume You mean the water bottles aren't loud enough.
Speaker 1: Well, that's one meaning of volume. Another meaning of volume is the amount of space that something takes up. Would you like to hear a story about volume? Yeah, Welcome to Storytime by Lingo Kids, where we discover fascinating facts about the world around us and the fun of play learning. Today, we will learn about volume as Cowie tries to find the perfect fish bowl for her new pet fish.
Speaker 3: Look, I got a new petfish.
Speaker 2: His name is Fishy. No, he's so cute.
Speaker 1: What Fishy has no room to swim in that plastic bag. You're right, Billy, Fishy needs a proper fish bowl. What are some important attributes we should look for in choosing Fishy's fishball at treetotes?
Speaker 2: What does that mean?
Speaker 1: Attributes means the qualities or characteristics of something like what color something is, what it's made of, and how big it is? Did you think of.
Speaker 4: Any Fishy's bowls should be blue like the ocean.
Speaker 1: That's so thoughtful. So Fishy can feel at home, Hollisa.
Speaker 2: Yes, it should be made of kiddy fish. He will always have something to eat.
Speaker 1: Interesting idea, Elliott, would you like to live in a homemade of dandy?
Speaker 3: Yes, it should be big.
Speaker 1: Why do you think it should be big? Cowie?
Speaker 3: So Fishy has plenty of room to swim.
Speaker 1: Good idea, Billy. How about Cowie and Billy search for a bowl, and Lisa and Elliott search for a bowl. That way, we'll have two bowls to compare to see which bowl holds more volume.
Speaker 2: What does volume mean? Again?
Speaker 1: It means the amount of space something takes up. We want to make sure Fishy has the most amount of water to swim in. Oh yeah, all right, let's go. Wow, those are two great options, But which one holds the most water?
Speaker 3: I know the tallest bowl must get the most water. That's the one billion I got.
Speaker 1: That might be true, Coli, but not necessarily.
Speaker 4: Elliott and I found a bowl that's not as tall, but it's much wider.
Speaker 1: Okay, so one bowl is taller but not as wide or deep, and the other bowl is shorter but much wider. Now we need to test the bowls to see which bowl holds the most volume. How should we do that? Oh?
Speaker 4: I know, let's use my teacup to count how many cup fills it takes to fill each ball.
Speaker 1: Great idea, Liisa.
Speaker 2: I want to use my juice cup instead of a teacup.
Speaker 1: Ooh, your juice cup is really cool, elliot, But we all have to use the same tool to measure for the experiment to work.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I remember from when we built the true bee house. Let's just use Lisa's tea cup.
Speaker 1: Great, now, everyone count how many tea cups of water it takes to fill up your bowl?
Speaker 4: One?
Speaker 2: Two, three?
Speaker 1: What did you all find?
Speaker 2: We put seventy tea cups of water in the shorter and water pool.
Speaker 3: I thought the tolerable holds the most volume, but I only took twenty five tea cups of water to fill.
Speaker 1: That's right, cowie. Just because the container is tall doesn't necessarily mean it will hold the most volume. You also have to look at how wide and also deep it is.
Speaker 3: All right, fishy, let's get you out of this little bag and get you into your big new hole.
Speaker 1: Thank you Lingo Kids listeners for be such attentive listeners. I hope you enjoyed the story. There are lots of wonderful hands on ways to experiment with volume on your own. Just get a few containers, make a hypothesis or educated guests at which one holds more water, and then count how many cups each one really holds. Have fun, and don't forget to clean up. In our Lingo Kids app, you can find interactive games, songs, audiobooks, and videos that will help you develop important skills such as communication, collaboration, critical thinking, and creativity. Discover the power of play learning when learning is fun. See you in our next episode.