Speaker 1: We are thrilled to announce our new Lingo Kids podcast for kids Growing Up. For Growing Up, we partnered with Emmy nominated TV presenter, mom, engineer, and science communicator Emily Callandrelli. Emily is on a mission to find out what it takes to discover and unlock kid's superpowers. Every week, she'll meet inspiring professionals to ask the questions all kids want to know the answers. To join the play learning fun. Find Growing Up on any podcast platform you are using. Just search for and subscribe to Lingo Kids Growing Up.
Speaker 2: WHOA, it's really raining hard? Yeah, look at all that lady. WHOA did you see that?
Speaker 1: It looks like the lights flickered out for a moment. I better get the flashlight just in case the power goes out.
Speaker 2: Spooky.
Speaker 1: Oh, I think the power went out this time. It's lucky I got the flashlight.
Speaker 3: What are we going to do now?
Speaker 2: I know? Let's tell scary stories.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Storytime by Lingo Kids, where we discover fascinating facts about the world around us and the fun of play learning. Join us while we use adjectives to tell us scary story.
Speaker 3: What's an aggtivis an adjective.
Speaker 1: It's a kind of word that describes how something is. It could be a word like big, short, or scary. Well, I don't want to learn about adjectives. Now, I want to tell a scary story.
Speaker 2: Well maybe we can do both.
Speaker 1: How about you start your story, Lisa, Yeah, I want to hear. Hear, Lisa, use the flashlight to light up your face from below for a scary effect.
Speaker 2: Whoo do I look scary?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: You look spooky?
Speaker 2: What a great.
Speaker 1: Adjective, Hockey, No more activities, I'm going to tell my story.
Speaker 2: Okay, here goes.
Speaker 1: One night a boy was walking back from school when he saw a house.
Speaker 2: He decided to go inside the house.
Speaker 3: Huh, that's not scary so far.
Speaker 2: Something's missing. Well I'm not finished.
Speaker 1: I know you're not finished, Lisa, but maybe you could add some words that might help to make it start sounding a little scary, like what. Well, remember I was talking about adjectives. We could use those to help.
Speaker 3: I forgot what those uh hoomi joobies were.
Speaker 1: Adjectives are words that describe vibe how something is. So instead of just saying one night, maybe you could describe what kind of night it was? Was it a clear night, a beautiful night, or maybe a stormy night.
Speaker 2: Oh I like stormy. That makes it sounds foolgier.
Speaker 3: Yeah it does.
Speaker 1: Now you see how adjectives can be helpful. We can try a few more for this part of the story. How about we describe the boy and the house. Was he a tall boy, a smart boy, a little boy? Let's go with little okay? And what about the house. Was it a nice house, a new house, a blue house.
Speaker 3: Make it a old house? So it's creeping and scary? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Hellkay. So here's the new version one stormy. A little boy.
Speaker 1: Was walking back from school when he saw an old house. He decided to go inside the old house much better, thank you, Okay, I'll keep going. As he walked to the hallway, he saw a hole in the floor.
Speaker 2: Suddenly, a hand came out of the hole.
Speaker 1: And tried to grab the little boy. Why are you laughing, Elliott? It's supposed to be scary.
Speaker 3: Because I imagine the fluffy, white hand like mine, coming out of the hole.
Speaker 2: Fluffy and white.
Speaker 1: Those adjectives describe a panda bare hand.
Speaker 2: But I don't want it to be a panda bear hand for my story. That's not scary.
Speaker 1: Well, That's why adjectives are important. They give us more information about the thing that they are describing, so we know what it's like. Hello, this is a perfect chants to use another adjective. What are some other adjectives that we could use to make the hand seem scarier? Green? Long?
Speaker 2: I like both of them? Can I use both? I think a long green hand is creepier. Yeah, it's like a zombby.
Speaker 1: Yes, you can use more than one adjective for something I like long green hand. Now, just out a word to describe the hallway and the story will be much better.
Speaker 2: Pink dark. A pink allway isn't scary. That's true, that it's pretty. I want the hallway to be dark, that scarier. Okay, a dark hallway, great job, This is fun. Okay, let me try it again. Here those As he walks down the dark hallway, he saw a hole in the floor.
Speaker 1: Suddenly, a long green hand came out of the hole and tried to grab the little boy.
Speaker 2: Spooky, But what happened next?
Speaker 1: Well, the little boy ran outside, screaming and never came back to the old house again. Be and.
Speaker 2: Creepy.
Speaker 1: Well done, Lisa, I didn't know using adjectives could be so fun. Fun one of my favorite adjectives. And yes, they sure are fun and useful too. Oh look the powers back Holloway. Well, now that it's not spooky, maybe we can tell a different kind of story, like an adventure.
Speaker 2: For a love story.
Speaker 1: Oh, great idea. I'm sure we'll use different adjectives for this one.
Speaker 2: I wonder what words we'll think of.
Speaker 1: Lingo Kids listeners, we had a great time today using adjectives to help Lisa tell us spooky story.
Speaker 2: Thank you for joining us today.
Speaker 1: If you think of any other adjectives we could use for our stories, we would love to hear your ideas. Just ask a grown up to help you. Send in your list of favorite adjectives. If you are ready for interactive play learning time, explore our Lingo Kids app. It offers fun and educational songs and games to help kids ages two and older learn and develop important skills such as communication, collaboration, critical thinking, and creativity. That's the power of play learning. See you in our next episode.