Cel Spellman: Friends, how are you? It's Cel Spellman here welcoming you to this very special bonus episode of Call of the Wild. To keep us tidied over until the next episode, we've got some extra bits that didn't make it into our opening episode of my chat with Sir David Attenborough. Now I don't know about you, but I think it's safe to say we could listen to him all day. So without further ado, here he is. Enjoy.
Sir David Attenborough: I just landed almost by accident at the BBC in my early 20s. Television was in its very early years and almost everything you did was new. And we had never taken cameras on television to I don't know, Africa, or the Brazil, or Borneo, or something, or New Guinea. Nobody had actually seen an armadillo before. Nobody had actually seen a sloth moving from trees. Nobody had certainly been under water before. People sat there and they were intoxicated by the sheer miracle of television actually. And you've just put those things and that was the first time they'd seen them. So you were incredibly privileged. The world in the '50s was beginning to open up and it was becoming economically possible to travel quite quickly to Africa. Suddenly I put up an idea just out of the blue, I thought, "It'd be wonderful to go to Africa." And I had a panel of the London Zoo which was going on a collecting expedition to collect animals for the zoo. And then we put a hard stop of scheme that I should go with him and make a film about him. And to my amazement, the bosses and (inaudible) said, "Well, that's not a bad idea. Is it really expensive?" "Oh, no, no."
Cel Spellman: Peanuts.
Sir David Attenborough: Peanuts, yes. A few 100 pounds is all is that is required. And they let me do it. And I'm sure that I should have done it very, very much better if I'd been more experienced or better talented, or so whatever. But we got away with it. And we managed to get away with it year after year, after year.
Cel Spellman: Would you Say that was maybe where the game changed so to speak, then that first trip to Africa?
Sir David Attenborough: It was the first time that the BBC had ever used 60 millimeter film for a start. And it was the first time that they had ever commissioned anybody, I think to take a camera. Well there was a cameraman, old pal of mine called Charles Lager. I put up the idea, "We should accompany this man going to the London Zoo." And they said, "How long will the BBC, how long will it take?" "Three or four months." "Oh well, good luck my dear champ and I hope to see you at Christmas." I mean, it was that kind of organization at that time. It isn't like that anymore.
Cel Spellman: No. So David, what are the biggest transformations or is there a key one that you've witnessed since starting out your career to this moment in time within nature?
Sir David Attenborough: One is that human beings are all pervasive, everywhere that you can't get away from human beings anymore. There is the oil slicks and bits of plastic floating in the remotest part of the oceans. That we have destroyed nature. Maybe we'd be so clever that we've found methods, ways, and techniques of actually destroying nature in order to put in what we choose. And that we've done it without thought over vast areas of the planet as though the planet belonged only to us. And that we are the only ever important organism in the planet which is not the case. And it's not just altruism, I'm saying it's fair the other organisms should have a place on this earth, but in fact, we depend on the natural world. As you've just said about, for interest of everything that's beautiful and wonderful, but also we depend on it on every breath of air we take and on every mouth full of food we eat. And if we damage the natural world, we are damaging ourselves. And we have been doing that without care for decades.
Cel Spellman: I would really love to hear any kind of any top tips you'd have to impart to our listeners and to young people on what they can do to turn things around and make that change.
Sir David Attenborough: Well, I mean the dangers that flicks the natural world now are many. One of them is that there are so many of us and we are everywhere, and we are more powerful than we've ever been. And we should have some regard as to how we wield that power and some respect for the natural world with which we share the world. And of course, you can encourage the natural world in all sorts of places, in all sorts... even in the cities. There are things you can put in a window box that will bring you joy, not just flowers. Birds will be coming to your window boxes and so on. Even the small garden can produce lovely things.
Cel Spellman: What signs have you seen and examples that tell us that there is hope?
Sir David Attenborough: Oh, well, yes. Well that is how things recover. I mean, I made a film, I don't know how long it is now, it must be 30, 40 years ago. But we went to look at mountain gorillas in Rwanda and mountain gorillas at that time were close to extinction and they were being poached and killed, really barbaric. I mean there were people who would cut the hands off at mountain gorilla and stuff them then turn them into ashtrays. Can you imagine how viral that would be? And there were less than... I think it was about 60 to 70 of them left. The wonderful American woman called Dian Fossey who had habituated these things and allowed to get us with our cameras to get close to these gorillas because she introduced us to them. And when we left, she said, "You must promise me that you would do something to help the gorillas." And I did what I could when I got back in terms of organizing charities and so on. Well today there are more mountain gorillas in the world than the world then.
Cel Spellman: We can do it.
Sir David Attenborough: Yes, it can be done.
Cel Spellman: Do you have a life mantra? Do you have something which you've kind of always stuck to whenever you've been making a decision and had the career that you've had? Is there anything you live by?
Sir David Attenborough: No, I can't honestly say that there's any mantra. Anything else? I think I learned that what you had to do was to do what interests you, even if it was not all that lucrative, even if it didn't promise you some kind of career or something that... If didn't interest you, maybe it's just my moral fiber which is not as good as it should be, that if I wasn't sufficiently strong minded to do things that I was not interested in day, after day, after day, after day. And I didn't have too many experiences of doing that. But there were occasions in which I did jobs that I thought that this is not the way I'm going to spend my life. And then I say, kept moving on. And then eventually stumbled into broadcasting. And the awful thing was that in 1952, nobody was much interested in television, really. I mean, it was a kind of a hold in the corner thing that happened to North London. And it could only be seen... It couldn't be seen as the far away as Bristol. And I didn't know anything about it either. I applied for a job I saw in the newspaper for the BBC to do sound radio. And I thought, "Well, anybody can do sound radio." I'm (inaudible) to say that, but that I thought that everybody could. And I got turned down. And then I got a letter from someone who said, "We're starting a new thing. It's called television. And lots of people are rude about it, so we've got it up at Alexander Palace and we've got two studios there. Would you be at least interested into seeing whether it was the sort of thing you'd be interested in?" "Where?" "Yeah, no for true as I say," that's actually what they said. "And what we'll do, well, if you are interested, we could give you training for six weeks and then... We don't necessarily offer you a job because it might not suit you, but if you do, then we will think about it." So up I went then, and it was intoxicating. I mean, it was (inaudible) a minute. I mean, nobody could see you much except in North London. Well not, it was a bit bigger than that, but not much. And of course it was thrilling.
Cel Spellman: I mean, we're so glad that you did and the rest is literally history. So David finally, what would be your pearl of wisdom to younger people who want to make a difference?
Sir David Attenborough: The world's in trouble and they can do something about it. But also that they demand the politicians who have more power than any single and private individuals should get together and solve it. And that it's solvable. We know what to do. We know how to do it. All that's left is doing it.
Cel Spellman: A massive thank you again to sir David Attenborough for that brilliant interview, safe to say it was one of the best experiences of my life and one that I'm going to cherish forever. Definitely one that I won't forget. And it really has galvanized and motivated me to try and learn more, do as much as I can to try and make a difference and make the world a better, more sustainable, and greener place. And I do hope you'll join me on this journey as well. So there we have it that's it for this bonus episode. Our next episode will be out soon where we'll be focusing on the ocean and how we can reduce the amount of plastic waste that ends up there. Very much looking forward to that. Call of the Wild is a fresh air production for WWF. Subscribe now so you don't miss an episode and you can join the conversation on social media, using the hashtag Call of the Wild. The wild is calling, it's time to act.