Naomi Brockwell is an opera singer, film-maker and actress, and studied commerce at the University of Western Australia. Currently residing in New York, Naomi also runs her own company Rainsworth Productions and is a fellow at The Moving Picture Institute. Naomi speaks five languages, plays six musical instruments and, of course, is a gold medal-winning Irish dancer. Naomi is on the Advisory Council of the Mannkal Economic Education Foundation and is the always effervescent face of Bitcoin Girl.
In this interview, Naomi mentions and discusses: bitcoins, crypto-currencies, monetary policy, inflation, fiat currency, fractional reserve banking, central banks, living standards, international trade, negative externalities, unintended consequences,equilibrium, supply and demand.
Economists and Economic Schools:
In this interview, Naomi mentions: Victor Niederhoffer, Gene Epstein, Murray Rothbard, Jean-Baptiste Say, Ludwig von Mises, Friedrich Hayek, Carl Menger, Erik Voorheese, Paul Krugman, Austrian economics, Libertarianism, Keynesian economics and Hunter Lewis.
- what Naomi's two favorite drinks are - they're Irish by the way!
- and watch Naomi's video 'Bitcoin Girl' (see below), made with The Moving Picture Institute, in which she is featured.
- what began Naomi's passion for economics after staying in New York City to study and train with other great opera singers.
- how a discussion on the housing crisis and the housing bubble at Junto in New York City inspired Naomi to read economics.
- how a chance email to Gene Epstein of Barron's developed a passion for Austrian and Libertarian economics.
- Naomi's shared views with Gene on educating people in economics even if they disagree on some of the thinking.
- why Naomi questions the foundation of fiat money after reading Rothbard.
- why Naomi believes that the private sector can manage money better than the government.
- why bitcoin is used voluntarily with no coercion.
- what is a virtual or crypto-currency and how does it work when there is no physical coin to use.
- what excites Naomi about Bitcoin and why, as Bitcoin Girl, she is becoming synonymous with Bitcoin.
- what cryptography is and what it has to do with Bitcoin.
- the difference between fractional reserve banking and how bitcoin operates.
- what scares Naomi when she requested her Australian bank to transfer her own money into a Bitstamp account.
You cna find all the links mentioned in this episode on the shownoates page at Economic Rockstar