Download Episode! Michael Runkel has traveled the world as a professional photographer taking over one million photos, including over 600 UNESCO World Heritage sites! Michael has traveled to 176 countries and on his journeys has collected some amazing travel experiences. He stayed with a powerful sheik in his palace in Yemen as war was declared. He survived a powerful earthquake in Bam, Iran that claimed the lives of thousands. This experience changed his life as he dedicated his time to build a school and orphanage in the city. Michael met his wife on a cruise to Antarctica and has travelled around the world with his infant daughter. As a child, he was inspired by the travel author Karl May and his backpacking grandmother. Please listen in on these incredible travel tales. Subscribe on iTunes today! More about Michael Runkel:
Subscribe on iTunes today!! About Counting Countries Counting Countries is the only podcast to bring you the stories from the dedicated few who’ve spent their lives on the singular quest of traveling to every country in the world. Less people have traveled to every country in the world than have been to outer space. Theme music for this podcast is Demeter’s Dance, written, performed, and provided by Mundi. About GlobalGaz Ric Gazarian is the host of Counting Countries. He is the author of three books: Hit The Road: India, 7000 KM To Go, and Photos From Chernobyl. He is the producer of two travel documentaries: Hit The Road: India and Hit The Road: Cambodia. Ric is also on his own quest to visit every country in the world. You can see where he has traveled so far and keep up with his journey at GlobalGaz.com How Many Countries Are There? Well… that depends on who you ask!
- Born in: Bavaria, Germany
- Passports from: Germany
- Favorite travel book: Shantaram
- Favorite travel site: Thorn Tree Forum and Lonely Planet
- Must carry: My camera.
- Favorite food: German Roulade, A roulade is a dish of filled rolled meat or pastry.
- Favorite drink: Aperol Spritz.
- Favorite Airline: Emirates Airlines
- Favorite Hotel: Banyan Tree Hotel, Tanna, Vanuatu
- Website: Michael Runkel
- Facebook: Michael Runkel Photographs
- Instagram: Michael Runkel Photo
- Travel Map: The Best Traveled Map
- The United Nations states that there are 193 member states.
- The British Foreign and Commonwealth office states that there are 225 countries and territories.
- The Century Club states that there are 325 sovereign nations, territories, enclaves, and islands.
- The Most Traveled Person states that there are 875 unique parts of the world.
- The Best Traveled states that there are 1281 unique places in the world.
- Me? My goal is the 193 countries that are recognized by the UN, but I am sure I will visit some other places along the way.
Disclaimer: I will earn a fee if you order from Amazon/Agoda.