Engineering biology holds the key to improving the lives of people across the world. It promises solutions to disease, food production, and pollution amongst other deep-seated problems. But this engineering is immensely difficult. CEO of LabGenius James Field, partner at NFX Gigi Levy-Weiss, partner at the investment firm Episode 1 Carina Namih, and science writer Oliver Morton come together to discuss the merging field of bioengineering.
Carina, James, Gigi, and Oliver also discuss:
- How machine learning is improving life sciences and healthcare.
- Experiences of fundraising and hiring for biology companies in the UK and the U.S.
- The role of bio-engineering in solving major global problems, including pollution.
- “35+ Companies Using Synthetic Biology To Rethink Everything From Plastics To Fabrics To Fertilizers” (CB Insights, Nov. 8, 2018)
- “Where Are All the Biotech Startups Raising?” (Tech Crunch, 2019)
- “The New Era of Life” (CognitionX, June 24, 2019)
Carina Namih @CarinaNamih
Oliver Morton @Eaterofsun
James Field @jejfield
Gigi Levy-Weiss @GigiLevy