OpenAI stunned the world with the release of Generative Pre-trained Transformer 3 (GPT-3), the world’s most impressive language-generating AI. OpenAI CEO Sam Altman joins Azeem Azhar to reflect on the huge attention generated by GPT-3 and what it heralds for the future research and development toward the creation of a true artificial general intelligence (AGI).
They also explore:
- How AGI could be used both to reduce and exacerbate inequality.
- How governance models need to change to address the growing power of technology companies.
- How Altman’s experience leading Y Combinator informed his leadership of OpenAI.
- “The messy, secretive reality behind OpenAI’s bid to save the world” (Wired, 2020)
- “Sam Altman’s Manifest Destiny” (New Yorker, 2016)
- “Governance in the Age of AI” (Exponential View Podcast, 2019)
Exponential View newsletter