When you think about real estate development you typically think of the big apartment complex being built in the trendy part of town or the company that’s putting in a new neighborhood down the street. It seems overwhelming to think of taking on a project of that magnitude, but like anything else in life, you can learn how to do it if you approach it the right way. Today’s guest is Steve Olsher, an online personality, author, and entrepreneur who has spent a good deal of time as a real estate investor - and he did so by organizing development projects like the ones I mentioned earlier. How did he do it? Steve tells the story on this episode of Capital Gains. Making money through real estate development 3 different ways.
As Steve Olsher got started in real estate development he spent time watching what people did who had been doing it for a long time. Through observation and lots of questions, Steve discovered that there are ways to make money at almost every stage of a development project - from the initial closing all the way to management or sale of the project. When I heard him say that it got my attention so I asked Steve how it’s possible. If you want to hear his answer you’ll have to listen to this episode. And I promise you won’t be disappointed. Steve sees real estate investment opportunities every day as he drives down the street.
Steve Olsher lives in southern California, one of the most expensive real estate markets in the United States. Yet, every day as he drives down the street he sees development opportunities that he is confident could make money. How could that be true? Steve’s background in real estate development is what enables him to see how the changes in neighborhoods and communities, coupled with the existing properties can be leveraged into multi-family unit properties that could even include retail space. That kind of development not only meets the needs of the people moving into a popular area like southern California but it also spurs economic growth. You can hear more about Steve’s insights into real estate investing through development, on this episode. Here’s how you can get started in real estate development.
After hearing Steve Olsher’s story on this episode I was very curious how he would advise those interested in the possibilities offered through real estate development to get started. So I asked him. His answer was very practical. He says if he was starting all over he’d first do the work it took to meet people who are already overseeing developments in his area. He'd get to know them and find opportunities to come alongside to watch and learn. The benefit of seeing the development process in action when you have no cash involved is unparalleled and powerful. Learn how to make those connections that will help you take the first steps into real estate development by listening to this episode. Steve Olsher’s new idea for monetizing small followings on social media.
While Steve Olsher has had a lot of experience investing in real estate developments, that’s not all he’s done. Most people know him from his books or his podcast. It’s in that realm that Steve has been thinking most recently. He’s starting to believe that a handful of people with smaller followings on social media could leverage their small following in a cooperative effort with others who also have small followings. Their combined efforts could produce a monetary benefit as a result. He’s not giving away a lot of details at this point but Steve expects that he’ll have something to show the public by the end of 2016. If you’d like to hear more of the ideas Steve’s mulling over, you can hear all about it on this episode. Outline of This Episode
Resources & People Mentioned
- [1:08] My introduction Steve Olsher.
- [1:34] Who Steve is and what he does (from his own lips).
- [3:35] How Steve followed each step that was put in front of him over time.
- [7:17] The path from teen club owner to liquor sales online.
- [13:40] How Steve made the most of his ownership of liquor.com after the bubble broke.
- [16:59] Steve’s steps into writing and radio as a means to add value.
- [22:15] Where Steve’s entrepreneurial spirit comes from (his opinion).
- [26:20] The importance of learning the difference between what you want and what you need.
- [31:20] How Steve got started in real estate investing.
- [37:20] How developers can make money on deals in 3 different ways.
- [42:27] The things Steve sees daily that are investment opportunities.
- [44:40] What Steve suggests for those wanting to get into real estate development.
- [47:10] Ideas for monetizing a small social media following.
- [50:24] Steve’s secret ambition (that will no longer be secret after he shares it).
- [52:30] The best place to reach out to Steve if you feel your story would fit his podcast.
- Steve’s Book: What Is Your What?
- Contact Steve about his new opportunity: Steve(at)SteveOlsher.com
- BOOK: Journey to You
- BOOK: Internet Prophets
- www.SteveOlsher.com - Steve’s personal website
- Reinvention Radio Podcast (Steve’s show)
- Prodigy - Compuserve - AOL (early web companies)
- Simon Sinek
- Lewis Howes
- Jordan Harbinger