Jon and Aja host our guest Donna Malayeri this week to learn all about Cloud Run and Anthos! Designed to provide serverless containers, Cloud Run has two versions: fully managed and Cloud Run for Anthos.
Donna’s passion for serverless projects and containers shows as we discuss how these options benefit developers and customers. With containers, developers are able to go serverless without a lot of the typical restrictions, and because they are a standard format, containers are fairly easy to learn to use. Tools such as Ko can even do the work of generating docker containers for you. One of Cloud Run’s most unique features is that it allows developers to bring existing applications. You don’t have to rewrite your entire app to make it serverless! Developers can also reuse instances, making the process more efficient and cost effective.
Cloud Run for Anthos allows projects to stay on-prem while still enjoying the benefits of containers and the Cloud Run platform.
Later in the show, Donna tells us about Knative, which is the API Cloud Run is based on that helps create portability between Cloud Run versions, as well as portability to other vendors. We also get to hear the weirdest things she’s seen put in a container and run in Cloud Run!Donna Malayeri
Donna Malayeri is a product manager for Cloud Run for Anthos. She’s worked in the serverless space since 2016 and is bullish on the future of serverless. Prior to joining Google, she was the first product manager at the Seattle startup, Pulumi. She was also a product manager on the Azure Functions team at Microsoft, guiding the developer experience from its beta through the first year of general availability. Donna is passionate about creating products that developers love and has worked on programming languages such as F# and Scala.Cool things of the week
- Bringing Google AutoML to 3.5 million data scientists on Kaggle blog
- GCP Podcast has a website on dev site
- Command and control now easier in BigQuery with scripting and stored procedures bog
- Skaffold now GA blog
Question of the week
- Cloud Run site
- Cloud Run for Anthos site
- Anthos site
- Ko site
- Buildpacks site
- Google Cloud Functions site
- Kubernetes site
- Knative site
- Serverless: An ops experience of a programming model? video
How do I write a Matchmaking function in OpenMatch?
Where can you find us next?
- OpenMatch 0.8RC
- OpenMatch Slack
- OpenMatch Twitter
- Jon’s Twitter
Donna will be at Google Cloud Next in London.
Aja will also be attending Google Cloud Next in London.
Jon will be at AnimeNYC, Kubecon in November and Google Kirkland for an internal hackweek.Sound Effect Attribution
- “Small Group Laugh 4, 5 & 6” by Tim.Kahn of Freesound.org
- “Anime Cat Girl” by KurireeVA of Freesound.org
- “Anime Sword Hit” by Syna-Max of Freesound.org
- “Wedding Bells” by Maurice_J_K of Freesound.org
- “Big Dinosaur Whirrs” by RobinHood76 of Freesound.org
- “Cat Purring & Meow” by SkyMary of Freesound.org