The object of our investigation this episode is the word, “smooth.” We hear used all the time to describe drinks, and yet, most of us would have a hard time pinning down exactly what it means. Some of the topics we'll cover in this hit piece against the word “smooth” include:
- How and why Eric became suspicious of this word as a descriptor in the spirits and cocktail world
- A brief history of the smooth vs. rough liquor trope since the mid 20th century
- The difference between accuracy and precision in language, and why “smooth” can sometimes be accurate, but never precise.
- A troubling parable involving a major international distilling operation and their recent ad campaign
- Some thoughts on the truth from a major player in the literature and culture space
- And much, much more.