Sarah Wells (@sarahjwells, Technical Director for Operations & Reliability at @FT) talks about how she's evolved her career with the changes at FT, how they chose to use microservices, how their internal culture has evolved and how they think about funding and maintaining service ownership.
SHOW SPONSOR LINKS:
- Logz.io Homepage - Start your free Logz.io trial here, and receive a t-shirt, on us!
- OpenObservability.io online event (May 27, 2020)
- strongDM Homepage
- Start your free 14 day trial today at: strongdm.com/cloudcast
- Datadog Homepage - Modern Monitoring and Analytics
- Try Datadog yourself by starting a free, 14-day trial today. Listeners of this podcast will also receive a free Datadog T-shirt
CLOUD NEWS OF THE WEEK - http://bit.ly/cloudcast-cnotw
PodCTL Podcast is Back (Enterprise Kubernetes) - http://podctl.com
- Sarah Wells - DevClass Interview
- Challenge of Migrating 150 Services to Kubernetes (CNCF Talk - Video)
- Mature Microservices and How to Operate Them (InfoQ)
- FT colleagues Victoria Morgan Smith and her co-author Matthew Skelton on internal tech conferences
Topic 1 - Welcome to the show. We often speak with experts working on the technology-vendor side of the industry, but you’re building in a much different way. Tell us about your background, and introduce us to the work you’re doing today at the Financial Times.
Topic 2 - For the last 4 years, you’ve been talking a lot (publicly) about building and using microservices. Give us some background on your journey, and some of the reasons why your teams have chosen this architecture. (experimentation, A/B testing)
Topic 3 - You work in a world that reports on the financial success (or failures) of other companies, but how do you measure your own success? How do you put them in perspective/
Topic 4 - Lets talk about service ownership. Who owns a service, how long do they own a service, do they ever go away?
Topic 5 - Any tips or tricks that you’d be willing to share with our audience about driving successful culture within your team or across other teams?
- Email: show at thecloudcast dot net
- Twitter: @thecloudcastnet