Celebrate Star Wars (1977) and The Phantom Menace (1999) opening anniversaries - hear some great stories from these 2 releases. We also compare and contrast the movie marketing, critic reviews and general zeitgeist surrounding each film. The juxtaposition is fascinating!
Richard and I share our stories, but we also asked you to write in your stories on our Facebook Post. With 60+ comments, we tried to share as many as we could. Here is a sample:
We went to see Star Wars in ‘77 and we sat in the fourth row. When some kids who were younger than us sat down in front of us, we told them that those first three rows were reserved for critics. They moved and we had an unobstructed view of cinema history in the making. For Phantom Menace, I had always said the first film I would take my daughter to see was going to be a Star Wars film. She was two years old in ‘99 and she sat on my lap and, I kid you not, didn’t make a sound, and never took her eyes off the screen!! For the entire 2+hours!!! Okay, she peed on my lap but that’s a small price to pay. She was only two! Great memories!!
One of my friends had a friend who managed a theater that got a last minute show for TPM. That friend and I saw it dozens of times in the theater. By about the 7th time we were dating and by the time the sequel trilogy came out we were married with two Padawans.
Hear many more in the episode!
Sign up for the Skywalking Network Newsletter
Never miss a podcast, Zoom discussion link or Pop Culture Trivia!
This Week's YouTube Videos:
Also on this episode:
- Join us for Pop Culture Trivia most Friday nights at 6:30pm PT - livestreaming on twitch.tv/skywalkingpod. Please subscribe to get the notifications when we go live!
- Disney+ Zoom Chats for THE BAD BATCH every Friday at 7:45pm PT - anyone can join, just sign up for the Skywalking Newsletter for the link! The audio of these chats and previous Falcon & Winter Soldier and WandaVision Zoom Chats are available as podcast episodes for the Skywalking Force, our Patreon. Check it out and have a look at all the levels available.
Check out these SKYwalking NETwork Podcasts:
- Resilience Squadron - Sharing the adventures and challenges of disabled fans across and in the Star Wars universe
- Classic Marvel Star Wars Comics - Delving into each issue of the Star Wars comic series 1977-1986
- The Max EFX Podcast - Chronicling the 35-year Special Effects film career of Max Cervantes
- Neverland Clubhouse - Two sisters, and best friends, sharing Disney adventures
- Talking Apes - focusing on the original Planet of the Apes films and TV shows
- Totally Tell Me Everything - Two ladies, one topic, three questions. Sarah Woloski and Bryn MacKinnon learn, share and grow.
- Star Warsologies - A podcast about Science and Star Wars
Small World Vacations is an official sponsor of Skywalking Through Neverland. Contact them for a no obligation price quote at www.smallworldvacations.com. Tell them Skywalking Through Neverland sent you.
SUPPORT THE SHOW
Find out how you can become a part of the Skywalking Force and unlock bonus content.
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/skywalkingpod
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/SkywalkingPod
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/skywalkingthroughneverland
- Send emails to firstname.lastname@example.org and follow us on Facebook.
If you dug this episode, click over to iTunes | Stitcher | YouTube and leave us a review!
Never Land on Alderaan!