Filing for intellectual property rights is unfamiliar terrain for some founders and CEOs. Beyond developing an IP strategy, most aren’t aware of its value and what it entails for their businesses. However, taking this precaution to safeguard your business is critical. It can not only save you money in the long run, but it can also provide you with many growth opportunities.
Isi Caulder, a patent lawyer with experience planning IP rights for businesses, joins us in today's episode. She describes how she went from being an engineer to becoming a patent lawyer and why she chose to specialize in intellectual property. Isi also goes over the types of intellectual property, their value, and how we can apply for them. Later on, we learn what it takes to develop a sound IP strategy and how this can be attractive to investors. Finally, we understand the importance of working with a patent lawyer and how their expertise can help you ensure your company’s growth.
Tune in to the episode if you want to learn about intellectual property and how to use it to your advantage.
Here are three reasons why you should listen to the full episode:
- Learn about the types of intellectual property and their differences.
- Discover the importance of IP and employing the help of IP lawyers in empowering your company.
- Understand how IP can be used as an asset that can open up more opportunities for financing your business.
- [05:58] How Isi Became a Patent Lawyer
- [07:07] What is Intellectual Property?
- [08:23] Other Types of IP
- [10:48] How to Identify Your IP
- [12:12] Advice Around IP
- [13:24] Crafting an IP Strategy
- [15:15] Next Steps to Filing IP
- [19:30] Why IP is Crucial for Your Business
- [21:35] Funding Opportunities
- [23:55] How to Use IP for Financing
- [26:56] Why Employment Agreements Matter
- [29:03] Cost-Benefit Analysis for IP
- [33:17] Financing Using Trade Secrets
- [34:24] Parting Advice
Enjoyed This Podcast?
Write a review and share this with your friends.
Connect With Me
Ready to transform your purpose into an impactful business financial story, profit, and joy? Schedule a chat with me at any time.
- Visit Christina Sjahli’s website! Learn more about innovating and scaling your business through the Her CEO Journey™ podcast series.
- Download the Forecasting Guide so you can create a better and improved financial forecast for your business!
- The Government of Canada’s Concierge program: CENGN
- Connect with Isi: LinkedIn | Email | Twitter