We’re joined by author and professor Veronica Schanoes, who leads us through a forest of the feminism of Alice in Wonderland, taking moralizing out of the fairy tales, and tackling forgiveness.
Stories Based on Jewish Folklore and Magic, on Electric Literature.
Content Warning: This episode contains conversations about or mentions of bodily harm, antisemitism, gun violence, murder, arrest/imprisonment, depression, implied pedophilia, emotional manipulation, torture, racism, slavery, child endangerment, kidnapping, dismemberment, and religious persecution.
Veronica Schanoes is an American author of fantasy stories and an associate professor in the department of English at Queens College, CUNY. Her novella Burning Girls was nominated for the Nebula Award and the World Fantasy Award and won the Shirley Jackson Award for Best Novella in 2013. She lives in New York City. Burning Girls and Other Stories is her debut collection.
- Recommendation: This week, Amanda recommends Sometimes I Trip on How Happy We Could Be by Nichole Perkins.
- Books: Check out our previous book recommendations, guests’ books, and more at spiritspodcast.com/books
- Call to Action: Check out Join the Party: A collaborative storytelling and roleplaying podcast, powered by the rules of Dungeons and Dragons. It’s a party, and you’re invited! Search for Join the Party in your podcast app, or go to jointhepartypod.com.
- Wildfang is an apparel company featuring clothing that offers clothes that break gender norms in fashion and society. Get $20 off a purchase of $100+, use code SPIRITS20 at wildfang.com.
- Function of Beauty is hair care formulated specifically for you. Save 20% off your first order at functionofbeauty.com/spirits
- Brooklinen delivers luxury bed sheets, pillows, comforters, & blankets straight to your door. Go to Brooklinen.com right now and use promo code “spirits” to get $25 off when you spend $100 or more, PLUS free shipping.
Find Us Online
If you like Spirits, help us grow by spreading the word! Follow us @SpiritsPodcast on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Goodreads. You can support us on Patreon (http://patreon.com/spiritspodcast) to unlock bonus Your Urban Legends episodes, director’s commentaries, custom recipe cards, and so much more. We also have lists of our book recommendations and previous guests’ books at http://spiritspodcast.com/books.
Transcripts are available at http://spiritspodcast.com/episodes. To buy merch, hear us on other podcasts, contact us, find our mailing address, or download our press kit, head on over to http://spiritspodcast.com.
Spirits was created by Julia Schifini, Amanda McLoughlin and Eric Schneider. We are founding members of Multitude, an independent podcast collective and production studio. Our music is "Danger Storm" by Kevin MacLeod (http://incompetech.com), licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0.